Dough: - 1/4 cup water - 1/4 cup milk - olive oil - 1 tbsp Truffle Honey or regular honey - a few drops of White Truffle Oil - 1 tbsp dry active yeast - 1 1/2 cups bread flour (plus 4-5 tbsp for dusting) - 2 tsp salt -corn meal - semolina
Béchamel: - 4 tbsp butter - 1 tbsp minced onions - 1/3 cup flour - 1 cup milk - 3 tbsp parmesan - 1 tsp White Truffle Oil - grated Black Truffles - salt to taste
Once again, challenge met for Byron Talbott who discloses the secret of his irresistible Black Winter Truffle pizza recipe! The dough has truffle oil and truffle honey, the béchamel sauce has grated black truffles as well as white truffle oil, and the pizza has grated fresh black truffles layered inside and on top...
- In a stand mixing bowl, mix in warm water, milk, olive oil, truffle honey (substitute with real honey if necessary), white truffle oil, and dry active yeast.
- Mix, then leave for 20 min allowing it to ferment.
- Add in salt and flour.
- Using hook attachment mix on medium speed for about 10 min or until dough is elastic and slightly sticky.
- On a floured cutting board, kneed dough for 5 minutes.
- Place dough into bowl coated in oil.
- Cover with plastic and leave to rest for 45 min or until it doubles in size. Leaving the dough in a warm place will speed up this process. (we recommend to start the bechamel while waiting for dough to rise) Dust working space with flour. Pinch off a piece of dough slightly larger than size of fist. Roll out until it’s about 14x16 inches across.
- Dust transfer board with 50/50 blend of cornmeal and semolina.
- Build pizza.
- Sweat onions in butter.
- Add flour until it becomes paste consistency.
- Consistently stir mixture to avoid flour lumps for the rest of the recipe.
- Cook flour till the raw smell dissipates.
- Add milk a little at a time (by ¼ cups) stirring the whole time.
- When done, add in a few drops of white truffle and parmesan.
- Grate in black winter truffle.
- Cover the top with film or lid.
To assemble and serve:
- Preheat oven 450-500 degrees F.
- Ladle bechamel onto pizza dough.
- Add baby spinach.
- Add truffle shavings.
- Add mozzarella cheese.
- Cook in oven for 10-20 min on pizza stone (preferably) or until the cheese and crust are golden brown.
- Place sliced truffles on pizza and add a dusting of parmesan cheese.