Truffle Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
- 1 fresh black winter truffle
- 3 small cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 pounds gnocchi
- white pepper
- Bring a big pot of salted water to boil. Cook the gnocchi for 2 minutes.
- Drain in a colander. Then drizzle with some olive oil and set aside – this helps prevent sticking.
- Rinse out the same pot.
- Melt the butter over low heat, add the garlic, stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Over very low heat, whisk the flour into the butter/garlic mixture to form a paste.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream and continue whisking until smooth over very low heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons finely minced black winter truffle.
- Continue stirring until slightly thickened; about 3 – 5 minutes. Stir in the cheeses until smooth.
- Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the gnocchi. Serve with more shaved truffle as garnish.
** if you want to bake the creamy gnocchi, divide the mixture between 4 small baking dishes. Sprinkle the tops with a mixture of both kinds of cheese (grated), then bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes; until lightly golden and bubbly.